A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Sunday, February 19, 2006

When the Dog Bites, When the Bee Stings...

These are a few of my favorite things...
















































Images like these, around my house, cheer me up.

Nothing really bad has happened, in fact I'm quite happy. But I do find that little things like this help me relax more quickly, rejuvenate, refresh, and they generally give me more energy to keep active, work harder, and take on more risks. I very much like to look at pleasing things like this around my house, but these images offer even more than that.

The bowls of potpourri were bought on a wonderful trip to IKEA (1 of 2 in just 2 weeks! yipee!). I love them. They are that little something that my bathroom needed to tip the scales from plain old bathroom to pseudo-spa bathroom. Plus I love spending/saving money at IKEA. $0.50/bowl. $1.00/potpourri!

The book, spread open at the top of the stack, is a book of Latin poetry. Well, that sort of says it all, doesn't it? But there's more. Those are Mark's books, in Mark's office. He is now incorporating a Latin poet/philosopher into his dissertation. While he mostly relies on two English translations to read the poetry, sometimes he likes to go straight to the original, Latin text--particularly when he means to quote a part of the poem. That is where I come in. It is my greatest joy when Mark calls me in to help him find certain words in the Latin text or even better when he is trying to decipher which English translation is more accurate to quote. I get to translate the Latin (seriously, the joy of my life!) and for an actual purpose! We talk about the literal translation and what the parts of speech are doing, and how the poetic grammar can lend itself to both of his English translations, or how one of them really took a leap from the original text.

And, to top it all off, I now have Julie Andrews singing in my head...
"I simply remember my favorite thiiiiiiiiings, and then I don't feeeeeel, so bad!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

i can hear you singing :)

ah i miss ikea. i'm jealous.

19/2/06 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so now I am singing too. I do so miss you Anne. Can't wait until our next trip to DC to see all the changes you have made to your house in PERSON!!!

21/2/06 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home