A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Snap Shot: My Life from the Livingroom

As I was enjoying my Saturday morning, sitting in the oversize chair at this end of the livingroom (right by the front window), I realized that this view tells a pretty clear picture of my current life:
















Not sure how clear the words will post, so here they are more clearly:

BLANKETS: I've been sick and lying on the couch a lot.
STUFF ALL OVER THE DINING TABLE: Post Christmas mess, projects in waiting, rescued items from the sewage flood. (In short: house is under constant state of disorder as it is under construction.)
VASE FULL OF WATER: Our shower leaks into our livingroom via a lovely hole in the drywall.
PROP PILLOW & XBOX CONTROLLER: Mark sits with me, playing video games while I rest, stretched out on the couch. (Such a sweetie.)
SLIPPERS: It's cold. It's winter.

So after gazing over this picture long enough to be roused to action, I cleaned the whole house (floors mostly), put all the slippers and pillows and blankets and XBox controllers away, re-grouted the cracked spots in our shower tile, went grocery shopping with a strict budget (new thing for me), AND made dinner (this new spaghetti where I actually let the meat sauce simmer for almost an hour and it actually tastes like good food that you would normally find in someone elses kitchen)!
And now I'm quite proud of myself.

And, I'm starting to realize that I don't know how to sit still anymore. My idea of a relaxing weekend is to tell myself on Friday that I'm not going to do any work all weekend. That way, when I wake up on Saturday with no pressure to do anything, I realize I don't really have anything else I want to do so I just pick up a project and start projecting. It's really weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger anne said...

My blog is tripping: it doesn't show that there are comments sometimes when there really are.

So I'm commenting, just to see what happens.

You should comment, too :)
If it doesn't show up, will you email me and let me know?

6/2/06 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those slippers look like sand bags! Holly cow. You been treking in Antartica or something?

Brian

10/2/06 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home