A Special Blend
Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.
- Name: anne
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Friday, April 10, 2009
The Raptor Center is part of a bigger nature preserve called, Latta Plantation. Where they have lots of trails and horseback riding and kayaking. Pretty cool find.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
I'm pretty excited, I just bought myself a camera. It's very basic, but I've assured myself that if I use it regularly I will treat myself to a nice camera someday. Here is a start...
This is me...how I spend a great deal of my time (in the car):
I take this bag everywhere. (Thank you, Sarah!)
I am thoroughly enjoying this book right now.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Happy Thanksgiving Weekend
Just felt like saying, hi.
A quick update on my last post...
The wall is now red. Very red.
I am now shampoo-free and still deciding how I feel about it.
It is a bit too cold to walk to the lake right now (we drove instead, walked around for a minute in the brrrr cold, and then ran back to the car).
We found a Chipotle in Charlotte and drove to it. Mmmm, Chipotle.
Mark is here in town and for a full week right now. Yay!
In other news, we have watched a lot of movies this week:
"Quantum of Solace"
and tonight, "Hellboy II"
Hope you all are having a great Thanksgiving weekend!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I've been tagged
So 7 things about me that you might not know:
1) My bedroom wall is gray, on its way to being red.
2) I have my first bumper sticker ever on my Prius. (Mark stuck it on and I can't decide how I feel about it -- it seems so loud.) It's an Obama sticker, you might have guessed. And yes, we did stick it on before he won. It is my contribution to NC going blue.
3) I put 30,000 miles on my car in 10 months. (Thank goodness for 48 mpg!)
4) I'm considering going shampoo-free.
5) I can walk to a lake from my apartment, but I have to trespass to get a good view or drive to a public spot.
6) Chipotle is quite possibly one of my favorite foods to eat out. Mmm, Chipotle! Starbucks is my other favorite "out" place. Mark and I walk to Chipotle and or Starbucks with great frequency when we are in Baltimore.
7) I miss Mark.
Saturday, October 11, 2008
I am just about obsessed with this song.
"I'm yours" by Jason Mraz
Friday, August 15, 2008
Last week one of our stores relaunched with a huge Hispanic section and it turns out we were selling tortilla presses! I bought one for less than $20. A friend of mine guided me in my choice of corn flour, gave me a few tips, and...voila! It is SO easy. I had fresh corn tortillas in minutes -- with no preservatives! This one looks just like mine...
2 cups corn flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups water (just as much as you need to be able to turn the flour into dough)
Use your hands to squeeze the water through the flour until it turns into a dough in your hands. Make small balls of dough.
Put plastic wrap on both sides of press. Press ball of dough into very thin pancake.
Peel off of plastic wrap.
Cook on Med-High heat in a non stick pan.
I found that if I let the tortilla cook on its first side until it was smoking just slightly (a couple of little burnt spots are yummy), then cooked it on its second side until it started to balloon slightly (puff up) that they were just right.