A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Front Yard Under Way

I hope you're ready for some serious posting.
I've got more pictures than you've ever cared to see of our front yard as it finally begins to take shape.

Behold:

I didn't take any "before" pictures, and these pictures sort of miss the yard itself, but...remember when we first moved in?




































Now, imagine this dirt-lot-full-of-weeds with weeds standing 2 or more feet tall.
We actually got a ticket for the weeds because they looked so bad!

Anyway, Mark has been slaving away. He dug up everything. There must have been decades worth of weeds with their brilliantly deep and complicated root structures putting up quite a fight against the shovel. Once all the hard work was done (I did help a little--I shook the dirt clods out of the grass and weed clumps and then threw the weeds away) Mark enlisted me to help shop for cool new plants and I even helped put some of them in.
































Mark seeded the front area with the same grass seed we used in the backyard. This time it grew twice as fast (in less than a week grass popped right up). We suspect that it is the abundance of sun as well as the large amount of fertilizer Mark used--compared to the backyard which is entirely shaded by a huge tree and on which we used far smaller quantities of soil product.
































See how helpful I am?
















This is one of my favorite grasses that we bought. It's called Blue Fescue.
I will say though, it is far less remarkable when it's burried in the ground--all you have left is a little tuft on the top...I just didn't realize how much the bright orange pot was adding to the look.















































It's time for bed now...more pictures soon (I hope).

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

how fun! especially to watch while someone else does the heavy work. that's my kind of yard work too. dave met this amazing person the other day that actually likes going to people's houses and helping them do the projects they need to do. so he came over and he and dave tore out our blackberry patch! in an hour! and he's getting us info on the fence we keep dreaming about and paint and holy cow. dave volunteered to help him help someone else and apparently he goes out almost every night for an hour or so.

18/5/06 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home