A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Friday, September 01, 2006

My New Job

I am really enjoying my new job. It's amazing that I am paid to just spend time with people, read people, and coach people. It is also amazing how exhausting that can be. Last night after two delicious and much-desired beers, I just about cried my heart out watching an episode of ROME, in which my favorite character lost everything he cared about. Mark is such a sweetie, just smiling and listening as I sobbed and blabbered on about poor Pullo.
This morning I feel greatly rested and more optimistic about Pullo's future :)

One of the most exciting things about my new job, that I have been able to capture on camera, is my new dress code. For the last 3 years or so, I have been assigned a polo shirt and jeans as my uniform. While, yes, this is quite comfortable, it really doesn't do much for a girl's self esteem.

So here are a few pics of my grown up feeling self in business casual:
















This is my first day of work. I drove out to a place about 3 hours from my house and stayed in a hotel for several days of training. The camera is in my trunk and I am pretending to be getting something out, lest someone walk by in the parking lot and suspect I am taking a picture of myself on my first day of work.

















Here, I am feeling proud for two reasons. (1) my new outfit, and (2) I'm so grown up that my company actually puts me up in a hotel! And a pretty nice one, at that. Yes, I realize how unexciting this may be to you all, but after working for small companies my whole life, I'm feeling pretty darn cool right about now.
















I'm starting to realize these pictures aren't very exciting. But I wanted to share something of my new experiences.

9 Comments:

Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

.

1/9/06 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very exciting! It's fun to dress up a little. :) I like your outfits.

1/9/06 1:17 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i agree - i think these are very exciting pictures. i especially like the trunk shot.

1/9/06 2:16 PM  
Blogger phdendron said...

I like that trunk shot too, and especially the narrative that goes with it.

1/9/06 4:18 PM  
Blogger Wray Davis said...

I've just made the same clothing transition, but it makes me sad. I'm glad you're enjoying yours!

1/9/06 5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yahoo for great new clothes! I can personally vouch for how grown up and classy Anne looked in one of her outfits since I got to see her in person. And I too am loving that the weather seems to be shifting from the ugly disgusting hot and muggy summer to the deliciousness of fall.

3/9/06 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, Annie, I always imagined you in business casual at your jobs. So even if you were in a polo shirt if real life, you were in slacks and a button down in my imagination.

4/9/06 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Anne you look so pretty outside of an "orange shirt" (it does take away from our look)Lol, it's so nice to know that you are enjoying your new job. I'm happy that your happy, but I'm sad you're gone, its cool I'll get over it!! Muah Love ya

7/9/06 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wearing business clothes to my new jobs too, it is fun. And working for a large entity definetly has perks.

11/9/06 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home