A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Baltimore Backyard

Rise and fall
Rise and fall
The crocus in my garden
Stubborn, hopeful, futile, desperate--
Well-matched
For the clinging chill

Stolid stalks linger tall
On either side
Waiting
Waiting
Soon I fear it will be too late
Some buds look full and limp
Stillborn daffodils,
Still furled in a fetal pose.

Burst of color
Morning and night
Purple and Orange and Yellow
Rising full and healthy
For moments
Falling delicate and wilted and spent
While new bursts
Explode fearlessly
Immediately
Out of the cracked ground
Half-thawed and littered
with fallen crocus.

Do the tulips cower at half-mast
There in the corner?
Thick hardy leaves
Charged and balked
Still waist deep in the dirt
Frightened by the revisiting winds
After spring's dangerous tease.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

wow. i love it.

25/3/06 1:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very picturesque. I am hurting with your flowers. It was freezing here again too.

27/3/06 7:07 AM  
Blogger amberlee said...

absolutely beautiful, I could never paint that kind of picture with words.

And I am SO overjoyed that you have volunteered to be Jake's fan number 3!! :)

1/4/06 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home