A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Weekend Movies

In addition to watching lots of Han Solo and Princess Leia, I watched Elf twice and Constantine once. I really enjoyed Elf. I think I may watch it a few more times...I may even make it a Christmas tradition. It's difficult to explain its charm. Its all the absurdity of Will Farrell without any of the "bathroom humor," as Mark pointed out to me. The main character, Buddy the Elf, is a 30-year-old man with the mentality of a super-go-lucky 7-year-old on a massive sugar high. Yet from within the space of the film, all of Buddy's 7-year-old-ishness is validated as feel-good truth. This movie is highly likely to make you smile, laugh out loud, and maybe even (if you're as silly as I am) come close to a touching tear at the end.

I also enjoyed Constantine. It was very tame on a gory level--that is, for the genre of exorcist, horror type movie that it seems to lean towards. So I (who am rather shy at horror-style gore) was able to watch straight through the whole film. I especially enjoyed the scene when Satan pays John Constantine a visit. Thank you, Bryan, for an excellent recommendation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wray Davis said...

Kim really thought the Satan scene was strong, too. Thinking back on it, we watched the movie in a packed house (since it was opening night), and there was a fair amount of noise throughout the theater, but I think you could have heard a pin drop in there as Satan was touching down.

Kim and I recently rented Elf, and we liked it, too! (though she more than I) One of the things I liked the best about it was the way they worked in some of the Christmas Claymation favorites. I think the end was a little to desperate for me, and took something from the rest of the movie, but I imagine it will be going on our regular Christmas rotation.

21/2/05 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home