A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Monday, February 11, 2008

I cried twice today...

Once, as I lay my whoozy head back on my sticky mat--nauseous, just as my instructor told me I would be during my first day of "hot yoga." 103 degrees. 90 minutes. And a surprising drill sergeant of a sweet little yoga teacher. Just a tear or two as I psyched myself up to give another go at the next pose.

Then, again, at the sound of our national anthem being sung before Obama gave a speech at a Baltimore rally this afternoon. Why? Normally, I grimace a little at the anthem...especially at ball games and other "luxury" settings. And today I realized that it didn't necessarily have to be that way--that my bitterness is not for the song, but for the reminder it serves of lost pride (worse...of false pride?). I realized that I just might have the chance to wear that pride rightfully again--pride in "my team," "my organization"...my country. It hit me kind of by surprise, so again I let the tears roll, and I let myself hope for a country that truly can lead--and can lead by example.

I can't wait to vote tomorrow. Can't wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

this sounds like the beginning of book to me.
:)

11/2/08 8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So did you vote???? Looks like he is winning big time!!!!
I did the hot hatha yoga 1 (one) (read that 1- one time) in Walnut Creek. I thought I was going to die from heat prostation. I guess it can be good for you if you are properly hydrated. Just need to drink a ton more water before you go then I am apt to do. Hope you like it.

12/2/08 4:12 PM  
Blogger anne said...

I most certainly did. I think I was the first person at the polls this morning. I didn't sleep a whole lot last night and I spent most of the rest of today feeling exhausted after getting up so early. (Except for the past few hours watching results on CNN!!! I'm pumped.)

12/2/08 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home