A Special Blend

Musings of a young, artistic homeowner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I thought about a PhD in Literature, French or Latin. Almost enrolled in Georgetown's MBA program. Toyed with the idea of studying graphic design. But instead I've been working on a home grown MBA and self-tutored digital illustration. I absolutely love my job in the coffee/service industry, and could hardly ask for a happier life, here fixing up my house, fiddling on my computer, smiling at my customers...Life is good. (Next stop: small business of my own?)

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Swinging Doors

When is it (at what point in the time sequence) that the obligation to stretch and hold a swinging door expires?

Too Soon: Ranging anywhere from the sudden smack of the just-released door on the out-stretched "safety" palm of a proximate pedestrian, to the less heinous (but still less than amicable) casual dropping of the door that delivers the weight of the door's momentum as an undue burden for the second person to manuever in his or her passage.

(Almost) Too Late: When holding the door for someone still walking at a distance creates a pressure for that person to break into a courteous jog to close the gap.

(Definitely) Too Late: when the instantaneous equation of distance combined with rate to determine the probable time of arrival is poorly executed and consequently incorrect--when the next passer-through is impeded by some obstacle or load and despite his or her best efforts is unable to close the gap in a timely manner (I fear an image of insensitivity to let the door fall closed now on this poor, slow soul)

Why, you might ask, should I spend an entire post on this question? A good 30 to 40 percent of my workday consists of riding elevators, walking down corridors, and inevitably passing through doorway after doorway. Probably three-quarters of that time is marked with a significant sense of urgency and time-constraint, and I am always pushing a cart: the time really does add up. Yet, clad in my "orange serbert" baby-tee polo shirt (uniforms were designed via a majority vote by the primarily female staff--not to worry, men wear a larger maroon polo), and a clearly labelled apron, I am recognized instantly as an employee of the company I work for: I am constantly called upon to represent our store, not to mention my own division--the catering department--the success of which is directly connected to my own monetary benefit. Therefore, I find myself continuously testing this issue to find the most efficient, productive, and positively viewed door-holding policy. However, each and every experience is slightly different, and I wonder if I am not tending toward a less and less effective policy. I am puzzled, confused, and exhausted from holding doors.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

hmmmm. i'm afraid i have no insight.

22/10/05 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home